Best Okonomiyaki Recipe:
Okonomiyak is easy to make! Our favorite "best" Osaka Okonomiyaki recipe (also called Kansai Okonomiyai style) is immediately below, and further down you will find even simpler recipes for the batter that don't require as many specialized ingredients and still taste great. Recipes for Hiroshima style Okonomiyaki and a variety of other ideas on our Recipe Variations page.
Click on our Shop if you want to buy Okonomiyaki Flour, Okonomi Sauce, or a complete Okonomiyaki Kit!
|INGREDIENTS (To Make 2)||Metric||Imperial|
|Okonomiyaki Flour||100g||1 cup|
|Water (or Chicken stock)||160ml ||2/3 cup|
|Eggs (or Egg substitute)||2 (or 120ml)||2 (or 1/2 cup)|
|Cabbage, cut into 3cm x 2-3ml strips||300g||4 cups|
|Green Onions, thinly sliced diagonally||2 stalks||2 stalks|
|Tenkasu (Tempura bits)||30g ||1/4 cup|
|Bacon, cut into 8cm (3") pieces||6 strips||6 strips|
|Raw shrimp cut into approx 1cm (1/2") chunks||100g||1/2 cup|
|Bonus: Chinese sausage, cut diagonally||1-2 links ||1-2 links|
|Bonus: Beni Shoga (Pickled Ginger)||30g||1 oz|
|Kewpie Mayonnaise |
|Aonori (Seaweed Flakes)|
|Katsuobushi (Bonito Flakes)|
|1.||In a large bowl, whisk together Okonomiyaki Flour and Water until smooth|
|2.||Add Eggs, Cabbage, Onions, Tenkasu, Ginger, Shrimp and Sausage and mix, but don't over mix.|
|3.||Oil a griddle that has been heated to 200C (400F) and add Okonomiyaki mixture divided into two pancakes.|
|4.||Using a spatula flatten and form pancakes until around 1.5cm (3/4") thick - approximately 30cm (12") across. |
|5.||Add Bacon pieces to cover top of each pancake.|
|6.||After about 3 minutes, flip over pancake (bacon side down) and cook for 4 minutes.|
|7.||Flip pancake again (bacon side up) and cook for 3 minutes or until firm and well browned.|
|8.||Remove to plate and drizzle with Kewpie mayonnaise, okonomi sauce and sprinkle with Aonori and Katsuobushi.|
|9.||Eat quickly before someone near you takes your portion. |
| || |
|Whisk Flour & Water (this flour mix had tenkasu)||Sliced Cabbage & Onions ||Shrimp (before chopping)|
| || |
|Sliced Chinese Sausage||Sliced Bacon||Ingredients added to Flour/Water Mix|
|Stirred Mixture||On Griddle||Formed into Pancakes|
| || |
|Bacon Added||Flipped Over||Condiments Added|
- If you do not have all of the ingredients above, don't worry, you can probably still make Okonomiyaki using a variety of substitute ingredients and by skipping some. See Alternative Batter Receipes below and the Ingredients tab for more information.
- Also, don't worry about exact measurements, the recipe is very forgiving!
- Also, remember, Okonomi stands for "what you wish" so you are really open to modifying any of the added ingredients. It's common to add a variety of vegetables, or to substitute or supplement the shrimp with cuttlefish, octopus, squid and other seafood.
- Chinese sausage is completely non-traditional, but we think it really adds a great flavor and texture.
- Click on Shop if you want to buy Okonomiyaki Flour, Okonomi Sauce, or a complete Okonomiyaki Kit.
Alternative Batter Recipes:Here are a variety of other ways to make the core batter that is added to the cabbage and other ingredients - pick one that suits the ingredients you have on hand.
|Basic Flavor||------------->||Best Flavor|
| Easy to Make |
|Harder to Make||Water|
To make the simpler recipes above, use the quantities from the "Best" recipe at the top of the page.
- Add to the water, the amount of Dashi suggested its package for 1 cup (240ml) of water.
- For the Yam Starch (or Potato Starch or any other similar substitute), add 1/4 Cup (60ml).
Using Traditional Nagaimo or Yamaimo
- For the Grated Yam, you must use Chinese or Japanese mountain yam (Nagaimo or Yamaimo) and use at least 1/4 Cup (60ml).
- The recipe using Nagaimo is the most authentic Okonomi-Yaki receipe, but it's faster and easier to use the packaged Okonomiyaki
flours, which also usually have added flavors.
When grated, the mountain yam becomes a glutinous liquid that helps bind the batter.
Okonomiyaki Nutritional InformationBased on the Best Recipe above, making 2 large Shrimp Okonomiyaki with all the condiments, here is the Nutritional Profile:
| 1 Wedge (1/5)||Healthier |
| 1 Wedge (1/5)|
|Calories||955|| 191|| 620 ||124 |
| Fat (g)||59||12||26||5|
| Saturated Fat (g)||11||2||4||1|
| Cholesterol (mg)||427||85||145||29|
| Sodium (mg)||2318||464||1793||359|
| Carbohydrate (g)||62||12||61||12|
| Fiber (g)|| 5|| 1|| 5|| 1|
| Sugars (g)|| 25|| 5|| 25|| 5|
| Protein (g)||37||7||31||6|
The Healthier Okonomiyaki has the following differences:
- Egg Substitute instead of Whole Egg
- No Chinese Sausage
- Lower fat Center Cut bacon instead of Regular Bacon
- Less Cooking Oil for griddling
- 1 Tbsp of Mayonnaise instead of 2 Tbsp